Frequently Asked Questions - Vision Overseas Group
Find Answers to Commonly Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

about us
1. Did the overseas travel resume, and can we apply for the visa?

Yes, from the 1st of December 2021, Australian borders are meant to open for eligible subclasses. But, in the recent announcement by the Australian Government, reopening these borders has been put on hold until the 15th of December 2021 due to the new variant of COVID-19. The visa application for these specified visa subclasses can be made. View the complete list of eligible subclasses:

2. Can I bring my family / dependents to Australia with me? Are they allowed to work?

Your dependents/ family can accompany you to Australia or join later as the subsequent entrant on most of the visas as long as they meet specific requirements of the visa grant. The visa conditions determine whether or not a dependent can work in Australia.

3. What would happen to my 482 visa if my sponsor terminated my position?

If you are on a 482 visa and your sponsoring employer decides to terminate your job, you will have 60 days to either: – Look for another employer who can nominate you. – Obtain a different visa. – Leave Australia. If your job ends, we can help you figure out your visa alternatives if you want to stay in Australia.

4. What will happen to my visa / visa application if I have a criminal record?

The visa application may get cancelled or refused if the application is still under process if an applicant is convicted of a criminal offence. It will depend on the severity and nature of the criminal offence / record along with the particular circumstance of the applicant.

5. When will the new replacement visa will be available, and what documentation will I need to apply for the visa?

From July1, 2022 you will be able to apply for a replacement visa depending upon eligibility. The new visa’s documentation requirements will be available when applications open in July 2022.

6. Can I travel overseas under a bridging visa?

If you hold Bridging Visa A and waiting for the visa outcome, you can travel overseas by applying and getting Bridging Visa B. However, under the current travel restrictions, you will need the exemption to travel to enter Australia as a bridging visa is not an eligible subclass for the travel purpose.

7. Is it possible for me to change course while on a student visa?

Yes, you can change the course while being on a student visa, but while changing the course, you must maintain the AQF level at an equivalent or higher to your current study course. Otherwise, you may breach your visa conditions that can have serious consequences!

8. Do I need to purchase OSHC even though I’m starting my studies online?

All student visa holders must have proper health insurance when their visa is granted, and they must keep it throughout their stay in Australia. Any adjustments to health insurance arrangements made after a student visa have been granted but before they arrive in Australia are the responsibility of the visa holder (or education provider) and the health insurance provider.

9. What should I do now that I have almost completed my studies in Australia?

Upon completing your studies, you may be eligible for a Temporary residency (subclass 485 visa). The 485 visas have two streams: a. Graduate Workstream b. Post-Study Workstream Depending upon eligibility, you should work towards meeting the requirements of a 485 visa in accordance with the stream you fall under to make an application.

10. Do I need to meet the character requirement for filling visa?

If you want to enter or stay in Australia must meet the character requirement regardless of which visa you apply for. If you have any criminal convictions inside or outside Australia, you must declare them to the department; otherwise, your visa application may be affected.

11. Does my passport need six months validity to travel to Australia?

The Australian government recommends that your passport be valid for at least six months when entering Australia. Please keep in mind that the border staff makes the final decision on whether a person can enter Australia. However, it is recommended that your passport must have six months validity before entering Australia.

12. When can I apply for the Covid-19 pandemic visa ( subclass 408)?

You “must wish to stay in Australia to perform work directly linked with the COVID-19 epidemic” in the critical sector/ priority occupation according to one of the conditions for the COVID-19 visa (subclass 408). You must be currently employed or seeking employment in the occupation on the priority list. If you apply for the COVID-19 visa but already have a visa that does not allow you to work, you must provide convincing proof that you either have a skill set that is highly relevant to a critical sector and that you have a critical sector employer who is actively seeking to hire you on a visa grant.

13. Can I travel to Australia if I am unvaccinated?

If you do not meet Australian vaccination requirements for international travel, you cannot travel to Australia without a travel exemption unless you are automatically exempt. Travel restrictions are subject to change in response to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19.

14. If my study was impacted and I could not complete my study on time after my visa was approved, do I need to pay VAC for an extension?

You might be eligible for a #StudentVisaFeeWaiver. If your studies were impacted due to travel restrictions or you, have undertaken online studies, counted towards the Australian Study Requirement within the original visa validity. The Student Visa Fee Waiver needs to be supported by your Education Provider by filling out the 1545 form.

15. Is there any age limit applicable to an Australian visa?

Yes, most permanent residency (PR) visas have a 45-year age limit. However, some business/investor visas allow candidates aged 45 and up (but not over 55) to apply for permanent residency. There are also a few permanent families and temporary visas that do not have an age restriction.

16. We have not lived together for 12 months, but would like to apply for a de-facto partner visa- is that okay?

To be granted a Partner visa as a de-facto partner, you either must show that you have been living together as a de-facto couple for at least 12 months immediately prior to lodging your application or you have your relationship registered as a domestic couple if it is within 12 months of your visa application lodgement. You must attach the Relationship Certificate registered under Australia Relationship Act 2008 if you are lodging the Partner visa application within 12 months.

17. How can I check my visa conditions, entitlements, or length of stay?

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) allows you to check your visa status. VEVO is a free online service that provides 24-hour access to visa entitlements and status information to visa holders, employers, and other registered organisations.

18. When it will be necessary for me to have health insurance?

It depends on the type of visa you’re applying for. All temporary visa applications require you to have health insurance at the time of application and is a mandatory requirement, while others allow you to purchase health insurance afterwards. Once you’ve received your visa, you’ll probably need to keep your health insurance up to date for the duration of your stay in Australia.

18. When it will be necessary for me to have health insurance?

It depends on the type of visa you’re applying for. All temporary visa applications require you to have health insurance at the time of application and is a mandatory requirement, while others allow you to purchase health insurance afterwards. Once you’ve received your visa, you’ll probably need to keep your health insurance up to date for the duration of your stay in Australia.

19. Can the working holiday visa be extended?

A working holiday visa cannot be extended or renewed. Working holiday visa holders, on the other hand, can apply for a second or even third WHV to extend their stay in Australia. The visa holder is required to work in rural areas for a specified period of time. Visa holders receive a second WHV valid for one year after performing this type of work for three months. The holder can renew their WHV for a third year if they complete another six months of regional work.

20. Can I move to new employer if I’m sponsored by a new employer?

A worker can change employers only if the new employer makes a legal nomination and the worker meets the new submission’s skill and qualification requirements.

21. How long a dependent of student visa holder study in Australia?

During their stay in Australia, your dependents will be allowed to study the course which has a duration of three months only. If the main applicant on a Student Visa wants to bring school-aged children to live with him or her in Australia, there are extra criteria. The children must have been enrolled in one of the schools in the vicinity of their home.

22. Do my documents require translation? Who can translate if such is the case?

It will be necessary to get your documents translated if they are not in English. The best-qualified person to translate documents is a NAATI-accredited translator (check

23. Will I be required to interview when applying for a student visa?

At the time of Australian visa filing, students are not required to sit in any kind of interview, but after submission of the visa, students may receive an interview call from the Australian High Commission. However, while submitting your student visa application you are required to submit a GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant).

24. Do I need to have a supporter or sponsor for my entertainment visa (subclass 408)? months, you'll need to find a sponsor.

Yes, a supporter is required to apply for a subclass (408) Entertainment visa for a stay of less than three months. If you plan on staying longer than three months, you’ll need to find a sponsor.

25. Do I have to be married to apply for partner visa in Australia?

Australian migration law does NOT require you to get married to your Australian sponsor to apply for a partner visa. You must, however, produce proof to prove that your relationship is genuine and ongoing. For de facto partners, a relationship needs to be established for at least 12 months before an applicant is eligible for the partner visa application unless you have registered your relationship.

26. If I’m on employer sponsored visa, can I work for any other employer except mine?

No, if you are an Employer-Sponsored visa holder. In that case, you have condition 8107 attached to it, which states that the visa holder must work only in the nominated occupation and work only for employee who sponsored you.

27. Is it possible to apply for a partner visa application without living together?

Yes, you can apply if you made an application for an offshore partner visa or prospective marriage visa. However, you have to provide evidence to prove that the relationship is genuine and ongoing. Detailed evidence must be provided that the relationship was maintained during the period the couple has lived apart.

28. Can I apply for Bridging Visa B while I am waiting on the decision on my 408 COVID Visa?

You can apply for Bridging Visa B and travel. However, the purpose of the 408 covid visa is for you to stay temporarily in Australia to work. Also, you need to be in Australia at the time of visa lodgement and grant. You can travel but your visa can be refused if you are offshore.

29. What work experience can I claim on my EOI for General Skilled Migration?

You can claim casual or part-time work experience. You must have worked 20 hours per week. This experience must be post-qualification, that is after you have completed your degree and it must be in your nominated occupation.

30. I have lodged a subclass 103/143 visa application. Can I travel to Australia on holiday while this application is being processed?

Yes, you should be able to obtain a visitor visa that allows you to spend time with friends and family in Australia. This will not adversely impact your visa application, and you can request a longer stay in Australia than the usual 3 months if you want to spend an extended period in Australia.

31. Can I lose my Australian Permanent residency if I do not renew it after 5 years?

No, you do not lose your Australian permanent residency but you lose your right to return to Australia as a permanent resident if you do not renew it every 5 years. This would not affect you if you have never left Australia.

32. Can I apply for a subclass 485 visa if I finished my diploma and advanced diploma?

The study required for this subclass visa is a minimum of 92 weeks over 16 calendar months. So, if you have completed your diploma and advanced diploma which is over 92 weeks then you would be eligible to apply for a subclass 485 visa. Do not forget to comply with other requirements for this visa